Monday, July 30, 2007






Mantanuksa Glacier

Day 14 June 29 Our last full day in Alaska! This is one of the few glaciers you can walk on without a lot of equipment and experience. We drove most of the way to it (after paying our fee), and then had to travel through the mud to actually get on the ice. We saw a group that had special shoes for ice climbing, and I wish we had had some of those. The ice was slippery, as all ice is. Parts of the ice was actually clear enough that you could look through it, and see the water flowing underneath.

Later in the day, we drove back to Anchorage and visited the Alaska Native Heritage center. This museum covers all 5 native tribes in Alaska, and was very interesting. We didn't get to spend as much time there as we would have liked. They had a demonstration of the Eskimo olyimpics, replicas of different types of native homes, native art, tools and many other interesting items. Almost everyone on staff had at least some native heritage and it was noted on their nametags.

We found a city owned campground for our last night, and spent the evening packing and getting ready to go home the next day.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Ok first of all what an amazing trip!!! Can I tell you that by the last entry I was actually cold?!?!!? Its all that ice!! What an exciting trip. Alaska is on my places to go before I die. And I agree, something abt us Floridians wanting to get to Alaska, could it be to escape the heat in the dead of summer??

Good to see that you now have a blog, I expect to see projects of quilts and cross stitch and sewing being shared.

Jacki said...

You have been nominated as a Rockin' Girl Blogger! Go to my blog to see what it's all about. Whether or not you decide to keep it going is totally up to you, I just wanted to let you know that I think your blog [and you] rocks!