Saturday, April 3, 2010

Jacki and I went to the University of Florida to the "Quilting Natural Florida" exhibit. We had attended the first one in 2006, and knew we wanted to go to this one as well. Here we are in front of the freature quilt of the show. Every square depicts native Florida animals or foliage in some way.




This is a beautiful example of Seminole Indian patchwork. Some of the squares are 1/2" in diameter. The quilting showed various animals, shells, and other things the Indians might have enjoyed.Friendship star quilt made by a 12 year old boy. He saw him mom quilting, and wanted to try it, and this is what he did. Pretty good, I think!



This quilter did a beautiful job depicting light and shadow. I felt like I could keep walking, right into the quilt.



This was my favorite. Nothing says Florida like the smell of orange blosssoms! The butterfly shown is the state butterfly. I didn't even know we had one until recently!




The quilts in this show were art quilts, meant to be hung on the wall and enjoyed, much like a painting. I don't think you would find any of these on a bed!
















2 comments:

Lynn said...

Gorgeous quilts!!! I esp loved the one with the light and shadows. Yes I agree, you DO feel like you could walk right thru!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the one with the quilted alligator. Glad you got to spend some quality time with your best girl!