Thursday, January 28, 2016

I just went back and reread everyone's comments, and prayers, and I have to say I am blown away by everyone's concern!  Thank you all so much! Your encouragement, love and prayers mean so much to me.
I am doing well.  My first chemo treatment was Jan 15, and that went well. My mom went with me and waited on me hand and foot, and if I didn't need her she was helping out others in the center that had no one with them!  Then when I got home Steve did the same thing. I had a few days of being very tired, and I still get tired easily.  I am happy to report that the anti nausea meds that they give you work very well! I only needed to take them for a few days, and I was happy to stop because they can make one lightheaded and driving is definitely not recommended while taking them. But believe me, I would have taken them for as long as I needed them!  I also received a series of shots to boost my immune system, and my insurance approved me for Neulasta, which does the same thing, but in only one shot with fewer side effects.  I'll get that the day after my next chemo treatment.
I still have my hair, for the moment anyway.  It could fall out any day now, or it could hang in there for a few weeks.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what people have experienced. I talked to one woman who lost hers within a week of starting treatment, and another that finished chemo, then woke up a few days later with a pillow full of hair. The only certainly is that it will fall out at some point.
I am still considered immune suppressed, and will be for some time.  I have to be very careful about what I eat, and where I go.  Basically I can't eat anything raw unless I can wash it myself, no buffet lines, potlucks, salad bars or anything prepackaged.  Goodbye, bagged salad! I also have to avoid crowds, and obviously anyone who is even slightly under the weather. Soap and hand sanitizer are my best friends these days.
My next chemo treatment is Feb 5, and hopefully I will tolerate that one as well as I did this last one. The following weekend we are planning to go to TN for about 10 days, and while we are there, check out this facility  http://provisionproton.com/about-us    Proton therapy takes the place of traditional radiation, and there are fewer side effects and much less chance of damage to surrounding organs.  Since my heart is right under where the tumor was, this is a big concern.  I have been in contact with them and the possibility of being treated there is looking promising.
Again, thank you for your calls, emails, texts, and visits.   Keep them coming.  If it's not a good day, I promise I will tell you!

1 comment:

Rafe said...

Your positive attitude is an inspiration.God bless yu!